Sunday, October 16, 2005

God Is In Control

Today's sermon was a focus on Proverbs 21:30-31. I can't really explain how it hit me (except to say that it did so in a big way-I was actually crying), but I can show you my notes. Maybe they will help you. We are constantly reminded to look to God in all we do throughout the entire Bible. A good question to ask ourselves is "Is my life bearing fruit?" When I talk about bearing fruit, I mean fruit for God. I mean things like growing in my faith, learning how to do things so I can go out there and be a witness and leader for God. With a life that is bearing fruit comes freedom from fear and anxiety, along with peace, love, and others (See Galatians 5:22-23). We need to understand God's purpose for this life we live, the nation we live in and the world around us in general. We can make all sorts of plans, but God does have the final word. Plans only succeed if they are in accordance with God's plans. God gives great breadth for sinning. That's another issue, though, for the free will of man and God's sovereignty (which is planned for next week's sermon). God doesn't throw bricks at us. The Holy Spirit is called a gentleman by those who are indwelled by Him, because He is gentle. He doesn't push anything in our faces, but we learn that being in God's will is much better than being outside of it. IF IT'S GOD'S WILL, IT CAN'T FAIL! This is so important for us. If we are outside of God's will and do something, it can and probably will fail. If we are in His will, nothing we do can fail, because it's what He wants us to do. If He wants us to do it, He will make sure it gets done. For me, where I am right now, I want to enthrone school instead of God. It constantly worries me, which takes my focus off God and constantly on school. We're not nearly as strong as we think we are. God's plan will go forward...either you go with it, being in His will, or it will drag you with it. I personally would much rather go with the flow (as a general rule) than fight against it. Fighting against it takes too much work, and if it wins in the end anyways, shouldn't you go with it? But I'm only speaking of God's will. Definitely not of peer pressure and other issues. God is in control, even of those who have not accepted Christ. He still made them and planned their lives before they even were born. When we run into someone who is not a Christian, we should remember that God is in control of their lives. Boy, this is hard to verbalize! God's plan for our lives may be really hard for us to accept. I wish I still went to our old church, but I still have to remember that God took us from that church, and He has something more for us. It wasn't just my parent's decision. What you believe will influence the way you live. If you believe God is sovereign, truly believe so, you will live without fear because you know that all things are to the good that are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). This bird flu will not make you afraid, although it doesn't mean you should do nothing. We as Christians should trust in the Lord and stock up on immune-building supplements. For the final words, I want to say this: God is sovereign. That means He is in control of all things. That means we can trust in Him. God has a plan for your life. I would encourage you to find out what it is. Of course, He may not be telling you yet, or you are at the point where He wants to let you know what it is.

GOD IS IN CONTROL. We as Christians are so weak in our faith. If we trust in Him, there is nothing that can harm us. More Proverbs for reading: Proverbs 16: 1, 3, 4, 7, 9, 33; Proverbs 19:21; Proverbs 20:24; Proverbs 21:1

Do you really believe He is in control? If not, why haven't we had another 9/11?

No comments: